A couple of weeks ago, Epson sent over their new EF-100B Projector for me to review.
In the time I had the EF-100B I got to test all it’s features and abilities, So here’s my review.
Big thanks to Epson Australia for sending this out for review!
Design and Features
What’s in the Box
Included in the box is the EF-100B itself, An AC Power cord, Remote Control + Batteries and some Documentation.
The main body of the EF-100B is made of a soft black plastic/vinyl with a cool ribbed texture on it with gold/bronze accents on the front. Before getting too far ahead, I should also mention that there is an identical white version with silver accents instead of bronze. It has dimensions of 210mm wide, 227mm deep and 88mm tall. And is quite heavy, weighing in at 2.7 kilograms.
The front of the EF-100B is made up almost entirely of ventilation surrounding the main lens, which helps keep the unit cool. Speaking of the main lens, It is inset into the body of the projector which means it does not zoom, Only digital zoom is available. On the top are the volume +/- buttons and the keystone buttons.
On the left side is even more ventilation and the AC power input. Over on the right side is a little more ventilation and a Kengsington lock.
Over the back is where you’ll find the main speaker and all the connectivity for the EF-100B.
House a Streaming Stick
One of the cool features that makes the EF-100B ‘portable’ is its ability to house a streaming device right inside itself as it has a HDMI extension cable and Micro USB charging cable built right into the back.
Here is the list of compatible devices:
|Manufacturer||Model Name||Fits with the back cover on|
|Amazon||Fire TV Stick Gen 1||Yes|
|Amazon||Fire TV Stick Gen 2||Yes|
|Amazon||Fire TV Stick 4K||Yes|
|Roku||Streaming Stick +||Yes|
|Chromecast Gen 2||No|
|Chromecast Gen 3||No|
The EF-100B is packed full of cool features like;
- Laser Light Source – Experience astonishing quality and reliability.
- Up to 3x Brighter Colours and Reliable Performance* – 3LCD, 3-chip technology.
- Extraordinary sharpness and detail – Over 2,500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and WXGA resolution.
- Bright and compact – 2,000 lm colour brightness and 2,000 lm white brightness in a small, portable unit makes the EF-100 series an ideal fit for any occasion.
- Modern design – Available in both matte black and neutral white, perfect for any environment.
- 360° Installation – Project in any angle, from horizontal to vertical and everything in-between.
- Auto vertical keystone correction – Flexible positioning and quick adjustments make for easy entertainment right out of the box.
- Streaming Media Player Bay – HDMI connectivity with a space in the back of the projector perfect for attaching small streaming media devices.
- Easy Setup – A new simple welcome guide and easy-to-use remote puts all the most commonly used functions right at your fingertips.
- Built-in speaker – Getting started is easy with a built-in 5W speaker.
- 3 Year Projector Warranty – Enjoy peace of mind.
The Epson EF-100B has the ability to display up to a 150 Inch screen at about 3.5 meters away from the projection surface.
Laser Driven Lamp
The EF-100B uses the newest projection technology, Laser. Which is great to see, A lot of projectors are still made with incandescent lamps which are really inefficient.
Using Laser also allows for more mounting versatility as the traditional incandescent projectors could only really be used horizontally to keep strain off of the lamp, But with laser it doesn’t matter.
Laser lamps also live a LOT longer than the traditional lamps which normally died after around 4,000 hours, but the lamp of the EF-100B is rated for up to 12,000 Hours! Which is three times the amount and even more if you use power saving techniques.
As mentioned before, the Epson EF-100B allows you to keep a streaming stick nicely tucked away in the back of the unit. Doing this lets you use all your favourite streaming services or you can cast content from your phone or PC. There is a small notch to allow a HDMI cable to pass through the back to a media player like a HTPC or DVD Player.
The EF-100B does have a built in speaker which is decently loud, But does also have the option for an external speaker using either the headphone jack or the built in Bluetooth functionality.
So watching a movie on a 150” screen over a TV is obviously nice. But the EF-100B is only capable of delivering up to 1080p at 60 FPS, which is still quite decent but not 4K. It does output a really nice sharp image with good colour to it. This is achieved with Epson’s 3-chip LCD technology allowing the projector to process each primary colour (R,G,B) continuously, Instead of using a single processing chip which has to bounce between processing colours.
All this in conjunction with a dark room gives you a fantastic and vibrant viewing experience, Even if it’s only 1080p.
The Epson EF-100B is a really, really nice projector and is capable of delivering an amazing picture. And by using the Laser lamp it makes it really easy to maintain over the life of the projector, by easy it really means no maintenance at all! The only thing you’re losing out on is 4K which to some is a necessity in 2019 and moving into 2020.
And because of all it’s amazing features, The Epson EF-100B has won the Cleb’s Tech No1 Choice award!
Epson EF-100B Review
- User Friendly
- Value for Money
The Epson EF-100B is a great projector and is capable of delivering an amazing picture. With it’s use of a Laser Lamp and 3LCD Colour, It’s sure to impress.